- A routine health screening revealed that US President Joe Biden had a skin lesion that required removal.
- The type of cancer found was basal cell carcinoma, which does not typically spread or metastasize.
- Basal and squamous cell carcinoma are two of the most common forms of skin cancer in the US.
- The president will continue to receive dermatologic monitoring as part of his ongoing healthcare.
- Medical professionals suggest wearing protective clothing and sunscreen to reduce the risk of skin cancer.
Routine Health Screening Reveals Skin Lesion
Last month, a routine health screening revealed that US President Joe Biden had a skin lesion that required removal.
The lesion was surgically removed from Mr Biden’s chest on 16 February at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center outside Washington DC. All tissue that was identified as cancerous was removed and no further treatment is required.
Common Forms of Skin Cancer
The type of cancer found was basal cell carcinoma, which does not typically spread or metastasize.
Basal and squamous cell carcinoma are two of the most common forms of skin cancer in the US, with an estimated 3.6 million Americans being diagnosed with them annually.
It is the most commonly diagnosed form of all cancers.
Basal and squamous carcinoma can often be treated successfully, but can be costly and cause physical changes.
Biden’s Health and Cancer Prevention
In January, three lesions were removed from First Lady Jill Biden, two of which were later identified as basal cell carcinoma.
Prior to his presidency, Mr Biden had several non-melanoma skin cancers removed.
In a 2021 summary of his health, Dr O’Connor wrote that the president’s lesions had been removed and “there are no indications of skin cancer at this time”. Mr Biden will continue to receive dermatologic monitoring as part of his ongoing healthcare.
The White House reported that the president underwent a physical exam in February which revealed that he was in good health and “able to fulfill his duties”. Medical professionals suggest that the most effective way to reduce the risk of skin cancer is to wear protective clothing and sunscreen, even during the winter months.
The Bidens have long been vocal supporters of research and initiatives to combat and treat cancer.
Their adult son, Beau, passed away in 2015 due to brain cancer.
Bunun için üzgünüz.
Lütfen önyargılı cümleleri buraya kopyalayıp yapıştırarak önyargıyı belirlememize yardımcı olun...