Auf einen Blick
- US to donate up to 50 M1 Abrams tanks, a 70-ton tank with advanced armor system
- M1 Abrams tank is considered the best in the world
- White House initially expressed preference for Germany’s Leopard 2s due to better fit for conflict in Ukraine
- US also expected to send Bradley Fighting Vehicles and Stryker armoured personnel carriers
- British government has already announced it will send 14 Challenger 2s
- NATO secretary-general has expressed confidence tank deal will soon be settled
- Kremlin believes tank deliveries will bring nothing good to future relations
- Ukrainian President believes tanks will aide in counter-offensive against Russia
- Potential donation of nearly 200 battle tanks from Western countries could be the most significant example of international support Ukraine has received
US to Donate M1 Abrams Tanks to Ukraine
The US will most likely donate up to 50 M1 Abrams tanks; a huge 70-ton tank with an advanced armour system that could penetrate composite and explosive reactive armour.
The M1 Abrams tank is the main battle tank in the US and is widely considered to be the best in the world.
Alternative Tank Choices
Training Ukrainian troops on the Abrams would take months and the White House initially expressed a preference for Germany’s Leopard 2s, believing them to be a better fit for the conflict in Ukraine.
The US is also expected to send Bradley Fighting Vehicles and Stryker armoured personnel carriers.
The British government has already announced it will send 14 Challenger 2s, while Switzerland has allowed other countries to re-export Swiss-made weapons to Ukraine, including Piranha Tanks and anti-aircraft guns.
Jens Stoltenberg, NATO’s secretary-general, has expressed confidence that a tank deal between Ukraine and other countries would be settled soon.
On the other hand, the Kremlin believes the tank deliveries will bring nothing good to the future relations.
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky has long called for tanks to aide in their counter-offensive against Russia.
The potential donation of nearly 200 battle tanks from Western countries to Ukraine could likely be the most significant example of international support Ukraine has received since the conflict began in 2014.
Das tut uns leid.
Bitte helfen Sie uns, die Voreingenommenheit zu erkennen, indem Sie alle voreingenommenen Sätze hier kopieren und einfügen ...